Notepad++ is a text editor and source code editor for use with Microsoft Windows. Unlike Notepad, the built-in Windows text editor, it supports tabbed editing, which allows working with multiple open files in a single window.
General features include:
- Tabbed document interface
- Multiple clipboards (plugin required)
- Split screen editing and synchronized scrolling
- Spell checker (requires Aspell) (Spell checker does not distinguish between text and code)
- Supports text encoding formats such as Unicode, for international writing systems. UTF-8 and several UTF-16 encodings are supported.
- Support for Windows, Unix and Classic Mac OS line ending characters
- Find and replace: with regular expressions (including multi-line); over multiple documents; and marking/summary of occurrences
- Data comparison
Source code editing features include:
- Syntax highlighting and syntax folding
- Brace and indent highlighting
- Smart highlighting
- Project manager
- Regular expression find and replace (in perl compatible extent)
- Speech synthesis
- FTP Browser (plug-in included in standard installation)
- Macro recording and execution
- Various tools such as line sorting, text encoding conversion, text folding
- File status auto-detection
- Customizable shortcut key mapping
- Function list
Users can also define their own language (for syntax highlighting) and its respective API (for autocompletion) by using the built-in User Language Define System. Users may configure the syntax highlighting’s font styles per element, per language, and the resulting formatted script may be printed in full-color (WYSIWYG). Additionally, Notepad++ displays indent guidelines when source code is indented with tab characters, and highlights closing braces, brackets and tags.