Sandboxie is a sandbox-based isolation program developed by Sophos (which acquired it from Invincea which acquired it earlier from the original author Ronen Tzur), for 32- and 64-bit Windows NT-based operating systems.
It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive. An isolated virtual environment allows controlled testing of untrusted programs and web surfing.
SandboxDiff is a utility for tracking changes in registry and file system with Sandboxie.
Prior to install a program sandboxed:
- Open UserPath.bat.txt and inside it customizes only the path (RegHive path) to something like: “C:\Sandbox\<YourUserName>\DefaultBox\RegHive”.
- Rename UserPath.bat.txt to UserPath.bat
- Run SandboxDiff.exe – not sandboxed.
At the end the user can to see the changes made by the application sandboxed in the files:
- Comp-Reg.txt – lists registry changes (values only) in text format.
- Comp-Reg.REG.txt – lists registry changes (keys and values) in .reg format (Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00).
- Comp-Reg.html – lists all registry entries (values) sandboxed in text/html format (and the registry values changes).
- Comp-Files.txt – lists added/removed files.
- Comp-FilesMOD.txt – lists added/removed files – and modified files (based in size and date/time).
- Comp-Files.html – lists all files in sandbox folder – and added/removed files.