Registry Rapper is a template for allowing the use of programs that save their settings to the registry as portable applications.
First it will check the registry for settings of the program and then save them if present. Then it will write the settings for the program to the registry, run the program and then rewrite the registry settings to a file for later use. It will then delete the settings from the registry; removing any trace of the program. Finally rewritting the original current local settings back to the registry. This program is a registry encapsulation program, which takes care of all the registry settings a program might need to run and make sure nothing is left behind on the host system. Allowing programs that were not created is portable (i.e saving their settings to .ini files within the program folder) to be used as portable.
- All search terms and setup information stored in an .INI file in the application directory
- Rap up registry key information within the program application folder
- Multi Registry Key search – Searches both the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry trees
- Searches for and backs up any local program installation of the portable program
- Saves the found registry information to a .INI file within the settings directory
- Please follow the setup instructions in the readme.txt file for setup with you non-portable program
- If the program cannot find the registry entries, please follow the “Finding Registry Key Info” instructions in the readme.txt file
- Any Problems or situations encountered please post them to the forum questions section above
- Add functionality to saved more than one registry key to a .REG file
- Add functionality to use only one instance of RegRapper.exe
- Create GUI frontend to fill in and create the settings.ini file for the users
- Fix any problems found
Tutorial by Jonathan Durant
1. Create the following folder structure:
- TOP FOLDER (Any Name) - APPLICATION (HOLDS APP FILES, ANY NAME YOU WANT) - SETTINGS (HOLDS ALL SETTINGS, MUST BE NAMED SETTINGS)
2. Place the application files within the “APPLICATION” FOLDER.
3. Copy the RegRap.exe to the TOP FOLDER.
4. Copy RegRap.ini to the “SETTINGS” folder
5. In the RegRap.ini file, fill in this information:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
[DIRSETTINGS] ; The "APPLICATION" Folders name. PROGRAMDIRECTORY= [PROGSETTINGS] ; Fill in the Developers name or the company name of the creator or the program, usually can be found on the copywrite line in the program's about box. DEVNAME= ; Fill in the App name as it appears in the programs about box. APPNAME= ; Fill in the program executable name that is in the "APPLICATION" Folder, minus the ".EXE". EXECUTABLE=
If you have settings.reg file created already, fill in the following:
1 2 3
[REGSETTINGS] ; Place Settings.reg filename here REGFILE=
Otherwise, the program will fill it in on first shutdown, if registry settings were found.
Save and close the file.
6. The program should run without a problem. If you monitor the registry you will see the reg settings added on startup and deleted on shutdown. Also, if the program uses the USEREPROFILE Variable, the data will be saved in the “SETTINGS” folder.